Benway School is a NJ State Department of Education-approved school for students with disabilities. Benway School is committed to the belief that emotional growth and academic success go hand-in-hand. The school is dedicated to providing an opportunity for both by offering a nurturing and therapeutic environment with a low student/teacher ratio, small class sizes, individually-paced instructions, and a comprehensive therapy and counseling program. Our approach is one of patience, non-punitive dialogue, and communication.
We believe that students with emotional challenges and learning disabilities can:
- Learn and be successful
- Overcome obstacles
- Become productive members of society if they are provided the resources to monitor and self-regulate their behavior
What distinguishes Benway as a premier special education school is a commitment in providing these fundamental elements:
- An array of services that meet the individual strengths and needs of each student.
- A safe, family-like, and therapeutic environment
- Animal Assisted Interventions
- Addressing each students’ unique styles
- Utilizing techniques and strategies to effectively manage anxiety, stress, frustration, and anger
- Cultivating independent thought
- Encouraging social development and respect for self and others
- Assistance in setting realistic goals
- Conducting collaborative meetings with students, family, district, and service providers
Academically, we are aware that each student needs to learn at his or her own pace therefore, we offer:
- High standards of individualized instruction by providing challenging academics regulated by New Jersey Student Learning Standards (NJSLS)
- Skilled and certified teachers.
- Six full-time Licensed Clinical Social Workers on staff.
- Extensive technology with the use of Promethean Boards and Chrome Books in every classroom
- Small structured classes in conjunction with a multi-faceted physical and outdoor education program
- Shared-time programs with William Paterson University
- Multi-sensory remedial reading program
- Transition counseling for upperclassmen
- One-to-one tutoring as needed
- Speech therapy, Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy
We understand that incoming students will have varied reactions to being placed out of district. Therefore, not only do we assist them emotionally and academically in being successful, but we also recognize that it is essential for a school to be fun, visually exciting, and enticing to attend. It is for these reasons that we offer:
- Award-winning Art & Music Programs
- Winning Basketball and Softball teams that compete in private school leagues
- Local Chess tournaments
- Intramural sports program including: basketball, volleyball, football, hockey, wiffle ball, and handball
- Monthly field trips such as: NJ PAC, Sterling Hill Mines, Circus, Planetarium, Imax Theater, Lakota Wolf Preserve, various Museums, Lake Hopatcong, Shakespearean Theater Presentation, Lenape Native American Presentation, Bergen County Fire and Police Safety Academy, Holiday Music Presentation, apple-picking, and ice skating at the Mennen Arena
- Honor Roll Breakfast & High Honor Roll Luncheon
- Extensive, high-interest elective courses including:
- 3D Printing
- Driver’s Ed
- Girl’s Group
- Competitive Phys. Ed.
- Maker Space
- Film Production
- Music Ensembles
- Music Lab
- Music Technology
- Voice Lessons
- Rosetta Stone Spanish Program
- Work Study & Career Education
If you entrust your child to our dedicated staff, not only will they be academically and behaviorally successful, they will also become a part of the ‘BENWAY FAMILY’.